Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Required Reading

The Grapes of Wrath (Penguin Classics)Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition)Sometimes a Great Notion (Penguin Classics)One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Penguin Classics)I Know Why the Caged Bird SingsWilliam Goldings Lord of the FliesThe Odyssey

Something about late summer makes me want to read Steinbeck.  I read The Grapes of Wrath years ago and absolutely devoured it.  I love Steinbeck's attention to detail.  The whole time I was reading the book, I felt like I was being covered by a fine layer of dust.  I still think about the Okies and all of their hardships.  I'm so grateful to have a roof over my head and food on my table.

A dear friend of mine recently told me that her niece was reading Of Mice and Men for school this fall.  I picked it up and read it in one sitting.  I miss those student days of reading beautiful books and actually getting credit for it.  I always felt like I was cheating the system when I was assigned books that I secretly loved to read.

My brothers used to pay me to read their English Lit. texts.  They'd give me two bucks for every chapter synopsis.  Suckas!  Why, hello Ken Kesey.  Nice to see you, Ms. Angelou.  William Golding?  Don't mind if I do.  A bit of Homer?  Oh, you betcha!  Here's a list of some of my favorite paid reads:

Sometimes a Great Notion
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Lord of the Flies
The Odyssey


I still can't believe I pulled that off.  What were your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment