Friday, September 17, 2010

Homesick

My Dam Life (Travel Literature)          Drive Thru America          Sean & David's Long Drive (Travel Literature)

I was just out walking Walter (my dog) when my ipod shuffled out Mambo No.5.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have that song on my ipod, but it's purely for sentimental reasons.  It was hugely popular when my husband and I moved to Amsterdam in the late '90's.  What an amazing city.  I still fantasize about riding my bike through vondelpark and having cocktails along the canals.  But by far the best thing about moving to Amsterdam was meeting Sean and Sally.


They're one of those rare couples who make it impossible for you to decide which one you like better.  They're the embodiment of charm, style and wit.  The first night we went out with them I knew we were in for an adventure.  When I first moved to Holland, I was incredibly homesick, but something about Sean and Sally made me feel like I was home.


Though Sean and Sally are native Australians, they set out for Amsterdam with writing and editing contracts.  Sean wound up penning a brilliant travel book called My Dam Life about his experiences as an ex-pat in the Netherlands.  If you're a fan of the city, you should pick it up.  If you're an ex-pat, you'll love the way he captures the fun and frustration of living abroad.  And while you're at it, go ahead and read Drive Thru America and Sean & David's Long Drive.  It's not every day that travel literature that makes you laugh out loud.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment