Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Biography, Anyone?

Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent MillayI recently finished 'Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay' by Nancy Milford. I love a juicy biography, particularly when the subject is a bisexual morphine addict enjoying the heights of success as a bohemian poet in the 1920's . She and her husband had a satisfyingly creepy father-daughter relationship going. It was codependence at its finest. And in her spare time, she was one of America's original cougars. I don't know what it is about this era, but I'm fascinated by it. I'm particularly impressed that a female poet was able to become one of the most famous people in America in an era that far precluded women's lib. And don't you just love her hair?

Zelda: A BiographyI don't claim to be much of a poetry aficionado. In fact, half of the time I have absolutely no idea what I'm reading, but Millay's poetry definitely strikes a chord. Though 'Savage Beauty didn't induce me to go out and buy any of Edna's poetry, I did go ahead and buy a copy Milford's biography of 'Zelda' Fitzgerald. Now, you know that one will be a hot mess. I like Nancy Milford's style. She was able to secure a multitude of previously unseen documents from both of these women's sole remaining heirs. There must be something about her that makes people just want to air the laundry. But seriously, though. That hair. I want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment