Monday, October 11, 2010

Addiction

Ok, so I'm now reading book number five of the long, sick weekend.  I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm just about burnt out on reading, so I figured I'd switch gears and write about what I've been reading.  My friend Megan recently recommended the book Drinking: A Love Story, by Caroline Knapp and I'm so glad she did.

If addiction has touched your life in any way, particularly where alcohol is concerned, this is a great read.  I think so many people associate alcoholics with falling down drunks and people who make scenes at parties, but there are so many other types of alcoholics who can live for years and years with the addiction and keep it a secret.

Knapp was one of those drinkers who functioned very highly, was a success at her job and managed to compartmentalize her drinking in a way that kept her afloat both socially and professionally.  Ultimately, she does end up losing control and finally seeks help.  Her brutal honestly is totally arresting and it certainly makes you take a closer look at your own relationship with alcohol.  It took a lot of courage for Knapp to lay her troubles out for her readers.  I'm sure it's helped a lot of people come to terms with their own substance issues.

On the heels of buying this book, I happened to notice that Gail Caldwell had written a new memoir and that it was about her relationship with Caroline Knapp.  Bonus!  I read A Strong West Wind years ago and fell in love with Caldwell's writing then.  It was such a treat to read Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship right on the heels of Drinking: A Love Story.  Caldwell and Knapp shared many things: recovery from alcoholism, professional writing careers and an undying love for their pets.  They had one of those rare friendships that made them feel closer than sisters.  Other friends and loved ones were jealous of their connection and could never quite make it into their inner circle.  When Knapp falls ill, they have to learn how to share that experience as well.  Anyone with a best friend will appreciate this homage to the love shared between true soul mates.  Just keep a box of tissues handy.

Drinking: A Love StoryLet's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship

No comments:

Post a Comment