Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Last Things

This book is haunting me.  I finished it a few days ago and I'm still mulling it over.  It's told from the vantage point of an eight year old girl who has an incredibly close bond with a mother who is losing her grip on reality.  The mother's decline into madness is slow and insidious.  By the time she really starts to spiral, her daughter has become an emotional hostage.

Last Things are described by the protagonist's mother as things that stand the test of time, like stones and oceans and fossils.  Unfortunately, in this case, mental illness can be a lasting thing as well.  One of the most poignant bits of horror in this book is when the mother announces that Grace will end up just like her.  Try as we might, it can be very difficult for an apple to fall very far from its tree.  It's only after having children that you start to worry about which of your faulty genes may have filtered through.

Grace is at an impressionable age where she wants to believe equally in her father's scientific logic and her mother's ethereal folk wisdom.  She lives in a very confusing world where the people she trusts the most behave in unpredictable ways.  Sometimes it's fun, but often times it's frightening.

If you come from a long line of crazy, like me, it's refreshing to hear from someone else who's been through the ropes.  It makes you feel a sense of solidarity.  I'm not saying that Offil's book is autobiographical, I'm just sayin'.

I like the eight year old's vantage point.  Making the transition from a little kid to a big kid is tough, especially when you don't know who or what to believe in.  I know I didn't at that age.  I'm still trying to figure it out.

Last Things

6 comments:

  1. i LOVE this book. i read it a good 10 years ago, or at least it feels that way. she was a friend of a writing teacher i once had. i also come from a long line of crazy--hard as that is to believe. right now i am reading THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU and loving every single solitary word of it. merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it good? I can't stop thinking about it. Merry Christmas to you as well. I'm eating my way into a coma. The impending blizzard is making me ravenous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you read the tropper book?
    i just made fudge. to have with out sundaes and pizza. tomorrow, i make waffles. later, i'll try out the deep fryer and make french fries. im hoping to have a heart attack by wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's with OUR sundaes. certainly NOT withOUT sundaes.don't take any food out of this equation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good god, I just had twinkies for breakfast. I haven't read the Tropper book, but will definitely add it to my list. Any other suggestions? Is the snow crazy in NJ? We just took Walter out for a pee and the snow was up to his ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are in vermont but i read that montclair got 3 feet! we got our share here too. so i went snowshoeing just to feel a little less guilty to eat fudge while cutting potatoes to make fries. i have been reading the tropper 5 pages at a time so it doesn't end.

    ReplyDelete