Tuesday, December 28, 2010

High on Arrival

Should I be embarrassed for reading this book?  I don't even care.  If you're looking for a hot mess, you've found it.  Poor Mackenzie Phillips.  With the way she was raised, she didn't stand a chance.  I'm amazed she's still standing.  She first stole my heart on Celebrity Rehab (Yes, I watch that show.  Don't judge me) when she had to leave the facility to put her old pug Max to sleep.  I cried along with her as she fed him  his last meal of Haagen Dazs ice cream.  Man, that was a tearjerker.  I love a good cry.

Anyway, I couldn't resist picking up High On Arrival and let me tell you, it's not uplifting.  But it's good.  It's well written and the sheer volume of celebrity gossip is staggering.  The whole father-daughter sex thing is certainly off-putting, but it pales in comparison to some of the other stuff that was going on in Phillips' life.  She's a survivor, that one.  If you like tales of love and addiction, this is choice material.

It reminds me a bit of Janice Dickinson's No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel.  Have I already recommended this one?  Again, don't judge me until you've read it.  You can snuggle up with both books back to back and have a celebrity rehab extravaganza, then gloat about how your life is truly on track in comparison.  What a lovely way to end the year.  Merry, merry!

High On ArrivalNo Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel

No comments:

Post a Comment