Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Visit From the Goon Squad

What a great book.  I just put it down.  I wish I could write like that.  What talent.  Jennifer Egan is clearly no joke.  I always love a book that weaves its characters together in a loose but meaningful way.  It reminds me of Robert Altman's 'Short Cuts', one of my favorite movies.  Egan's got an innovative style.  She even manages to pull off a poignant chapter composed entirely of charts and graphs.  That was a first for me.  I feel a little bit high on the heels of finishing this one.  I can't say that that happens too frequently.

While there's a good deal of loss and despair in this book, the end result is somehow still hopeful.  Egan's got a unique voice and a poetic way of putting things.  Apparently she lives right here in the neighborhood.  What's with all the Brooklyn talent?  It's a hotbed of literary geniuses.  How lucky I am to live here, surrounded by such imagination and creativity.  Maybe it's catching.  Fingers crossed.  Get this book.

A Visit from the Goon Squad

No comments:

Post a Comment