Saturday, January 8, 2011

Room

Yikes!  Have you read it?  I finished it a full 12 hours ago and I've still got the chills.  Don't ever get kidnapped.  It sounds just terrible. I'm a notorious early bird, but I stayed up ridiculously late to finish this book.  At around midnight, I started having a horrible pain in my left forearm and immediately suspected I was having a heart attack because that's the way my mind works.  Then it dawned on me that I'd given myself a charlie horse in the arm by holding this book in a death grip for so long.  It's that riveting.

I don't want to give away too much about it, but the premise is great.  Imagine being locked up in solitary confinement for years, then giving birth in captivity and trying to raise a normal child in that environment.  It certainly gives you a new respect for the animals at the zoo.  Imagine the social and developmental ramifications of being enclosed and secluded in such a way over years and years.  It's pretty fascinating, and gruesome, and horrifying.

I don't recommend picking this book up if you have anything pressing to do in the immediate future.  Be prepared to neglect all responsibilities until you finish it.  Go read it so we can talk about it.

Room: A Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment