Saturday, May 28, 2011

Kitchen Confidential

I can't tell you how many people have told me that this is one of their favorite books.  I resisted reading it for the longest time because I assumed that only people who love to cook would enjoy it.  I actively dislike cooking.  I'd rather do laundry.  I sincerely wish I enjoyed cooking.  It must be so gratifying to enjoy such a nurturing and creative hobby, but unfortunately, it does nothing for me.  I do it because it needs to be done, period.

The only glimmer of fondness that I have for cooking stems from the fact that my daughter adores it.  In fact, she gets a little pissed if I pre-prepare things while she's at school and can't participate.  The other night she cried when I told her we were ordering in.  Oh my god, I sound like Mommy Dearest.  I'm just trying to be honest, folks.  I thank my lucky stars that India loves to cook.  I'm counting the days until she decides she wants to be in charge of the family meals.

So when I finally caved in to the peer pressure and picked up this book, I was pleasantly surprised to find it highly entertaining.  Bourdain clearly loves food and has a far more sophisticated palate than I will ever have.  The way he writes about food and cooking is so engaging and even mesmerizing that you can't help but enjoy it.

Furthermore, he gives the reader an incredibly candid glimpse of the inner workings of restaurant kitchens.  If any of you have ever worked at a restaurant in any capacity, you'll find plenty to relate to in this book.  He also gives credit where credit is due in lauding the Latinos who are the backbone of the restaurant industry.  All too often, the white male chef basks in the glory of a restaurant's good press while the extraordinary support of the Latino kitchen staff goes completely unnoticed.  Not cool.

I also like the helpful hints Bourdain provides to eager foodies.  For instance, you should never order fish on a Monday.  It's most likely been sitting around since Friday when most fish vendors make their final weekly deliveries.  Also, avoid hollandaise sauce at all costs.  It's rarely made to order, and typically sits for hours at a temperature which is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.  What else?  Oh, if you ever decide to open a restaurant or upgrade your own kitchen, scan your area for restaurants that are going out of business.  You get great deals on used, restaurant quality cookware.

Mostly, it's a fascinating romp through the restaurant business.  Bourdain has had his share of hijinks and hilarity in the kitchen and it's good of him to share them with us.  It's a feel good book.  Try it.  You'll like it.

Kitchen Confidential Updated Edition: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (P.S.)

No comments:

Post a Comment