Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Back to Bender

I just finished reading An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender.  Why do I love her so much?  She's so quirky.  I like that in a writer.  This one is about a girl who's obsessed with numbers, among other things.  She takes a job as a math teacher and quickly becomes a favorite among her students.  Her methods are a little off, though.  She's a little highly strung, largely due to the fact that she's raised by a raging hypochondriacal father who lives most of his adult life convinced that he's going to keel over at any moment.  This accounts for the fact that our heroine is so frightened and socially awkward.

However, her students are drawn to her and her love of numbers.  She uses her numbers as a way to alternately escape from and cope with the world around her.  She likes to count.  She's a little obsessive about it, or should I say a little obsessive compulsive about it.  Whenever she's overcome by emotion, she likes to knock wood four times.  Did you ever have that kind of little ritual?

When I was in middle school, I used to count out every syllable of every word I spoke by pressing my fingers into the palms of my hand.  One press per each syllable spoken.  No one could tell I was doing it, but it made it difficult to follow what other people were saying.  I still find myself doing it from time to time.  I had other little quirks as well.  I'd only turn the light off in my room if I could swing my door shut while simultaneously flipping off the light switch without getting my arm bumped by the door in the process.  Luckily I grew out of these things, except for the syllable counting..  I think I may have been nursing a little tendency toward OCD in those days.  Anyway, I had no trouble whatsoever relating to Bender's protagonist.

The problem is, our heroine starts to place too much stock in the meanings of the numbers she sees, and they ultimately become harbingers of doom.  As she struggles to make sense of the mathematics of her life, she learns some tough lessons.  I really liked this book.  I can't wait for Ms. Bender to write some more.  I want to follow her around and tell her to hurry up.  Ah, patience.  I wish I had more of it.

An Invisible Sign of My Own

4 comments:

  1. had i known you were as crazy as i am, i'd have invited myself over more often. i used to not be able to go to sleep until i added up all the numbers on my clock to make a one digit number. and i obsessively read words backwards when i saw them on billboards or signs. i've never read aimee bender but it's starting to look like i should. either that or recruit you as my new bestie!
    (i still want to know how you read so many god damn books!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who are you, uch? I feel like we were separated at birth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's kim! you can't tell? uch used to be the name of my novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, hello Kim. I'm dying to read your novel.

    ReplyDelete